Pharmacy technician in Virginia is an important part of the healthcare team, providing support to pharmacists in dispensing medications and providing patient care. If you are interested in a career in pharmacy, becoming a pharmacy technician in Virginia is a great way to get started.
In Virginia, there are two ways to become a pharmacy technician:
- By completing a Board-approved training program
- Or by passing the Virginia Pharmacy Technician exam.
Ready to explore the opportunities? Discover How to become a Pharmacy Technician and open doors to a promising career in healthcare.
Requirements for Becoming a Pharmacy Technician in Virginia
To become a pharmacy technician in Virginia, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Complete a Board-approved pharmacy technician training program or pass the Virginia Pharmacy Technician exam
- Have a clean criminal record
- Be proficient in the English language
Board-Approved Pharmacy Technician Training Programs in Virginia
There are many Board-approved pharmacy technician training programs in Virginia. These programs typically take 6-20 weeks to complete and cover topics such as:
- Medication dispensing
- Patient counseling
- Inventory management
- Prescription processing
- Pharmacy law and regulations
The Virginia Pharmacy Technician Exam
The Virginia Pharmacy Technician exam is a 60-question, multiple-choice exam that tests your knowledge of pharmacy principles and practices. The exam is offered by the Virginia Board of Pharmacy and can be taken at any Prometric testing center.
How to Apply for a Pharmacy Technician License in Virginia
Once you have completed a Board-approved training program or passed the Virginia Pharmacy Technician exam, you can apply for a pharmacy technician license from the Virginia Board of Pharmacy. The application process includes submitting an application form, paying a fee, and providing fingerprints.
To maintain the pharmacy tech license in Virginia, Candidates must have completed at least 20-hours of CE in a 2-year cycle.Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
Career Opportunities for Pharmacy Technicians in Virginia
There are many career opportunities for pharmacy technicians in Virginia. Pharmacy technicians can work in retail pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare settings. The median annual salary for pharmacy technicians in Virginia is $37,580.
PTCB requires that CE must be related to the professional work and practice of a pharmacy technician.Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
Table of Features
|High school diploma or equivalent
|Board-approved pharmacy technician training program or pass the Virginia Pharmacy Technician exam
|Required to practice as a pharmacy technician in Virginia
|Median annual salary of $37,580
|Good job outlook
|Employment is projected to grow 12% from 2020 to 2030
Candidates must pay the requisite fee of $40.00, which must be paid every 2-years.Requirements for PTCB Continuous Education
Tips to pass the Pharmacy Technician exam in Virginia
- Study the official content outline. The Virginia Board of Pharmacy publishes an official content outline that lists the topics that will be covered on the exam. This is a great resource to help you focus your studies.
- Take practice exams. There are many practice exams available online and in print. Taking practice exams will help you get familiar with the format of the exam and the types of questions that are asked.
- Form a study group. Studying with a group of other pharmacy technicians can be a great way to stay motivated and learn from each other. This will surely help you in becoming Pharmacy Technician in Virginia.
- Find a mentor. A mentor is someone who can help you prepare for the exam and answer your questions. You can find a mentor through your training program, a local pharmacy, or online.
- Don’t cram. Cramming is not an effective way to study for the exam. Instead, study for short periods of time each day and review your notes regularly.
- Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep will help you stay focused and alert on the day of the exam.
- Stay positive. The Pharmacy Technician in Virginia exam is a challenging exam, but it is definitely possible to pass. Stay positive and believe in yourself, and you will be well on your way to success.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful:
- Use a variety of study materials. There are many different study materials available, such as textbooks, flashcards, practice exams, and online courses. Using a variety of materials will help you learn the material in different ways.
- Find a quiet place to study. You will need to be able to focus on your studies, so find a quiet place where you will not be interrupted.
- Take breaks. It is important to take breaks when you are studying, so that you do not get burned out. Get up and move around, or take a few minutes to relax and clear your head.
- Reward yourself. When you reach a study goal, reward yourself with something you enjoy. This will help you stay motivated and on track to become Pharmacy Technician in Virginia.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the pros and cons of becoming a pharmacy technician?
- Opportunity to work in a healthcare setting
- Good job outlook
- Relatively short training time
- Competitive salaries
- Long hours
- Shift work
- Exposure to hazardous materials
What are the steps to becoming a pharmacy technician in Virginia?
- Complete a Board-approved pharmacy technician training program or pass the Virginia Pharmacy Technician exam.
- Apply for a pharmacy technician license from the Virginia Board of Pharmacy.
- Obtain your pharmacy technician certification from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
What are the salary ranges for pharmacy technicians in Virginia?
The median annual salary for pharmacy technicians in Virginia is $37,580. However, salaries can vary depending on experience, education, and location.
What are the job prospects for pharmacy technicians in Virginia?
The job outlook for pharmacy technicians is good. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment of pharmacy technicians will grow 12% from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing demand for prescription medications and the need for pharmacy technicians to help pharmacists dispense these medications.
How can I learn more about becoming a pharmacy technician in Virginia?
The Virginia Board of Pharmacy website has a lot of information about becoming a pharmacy technician in Virginia. You can also contact the Board of Pharmacy for more information.